Food Handler Role
ONE-HOUR SEAT TIME
An overview of safety techniques all team members handling food should always practice.
• Explain the importance of proper hand washing and sanitizing.
• Describe when and where hand washing and sanitizing is required.
• Complete hand washing and sanitizing techniques to health standards.
• Recognize how food handlers can potentially contaminate food, other food handlers and consumers.
• Identify the components of a good hygiene program and practices.
• Know what actions to take should a food handler be sick or ill.
• Cook food to its correct internal temperature.
• Correctly check the temperature of food.
• Describe the importance of cooking food and holding it at the correct temperature.
• Identify the most common types of food allergens.
• Identify the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
• Know what to do should an allergic reaction occur.
• Correctly prepare dishes for consumers with food allergies.
• Define the basics of contaminants.
• Describe the populations at highest risk.
• Explain how food becomes unsafe for consumption.
• Identify the foods most likely to become unsafe.
• Explain the basics of OSHA.
• Recognize Safety Data Sheets.
• Interpret Safety Data Sheets.