What Are Flash to HTML5 E-Learning Conversions?
It is likely that you’ve heard the news that “Flash is dead.” Adobe announced in July 2017 that the development and delivery of Flash would officially end in 2020. Content creators are now being asked to migrate any and all Flash content to open formats like HTML5. Tortal Training is available to convert Flash training materials to HTML5 to avoid losing critical e-learning videos and animations. Training materials may have taken years to build and these assets need protection by getting correctly converted to HTML5.
Benefits of Flash to HTML5 E-Learning Conversions
Quality content can take years to develop, and not taking the proper steps to convert your videos to an open format is a risk not worth taking. Updating e-learning materials to HTML5 will include the following benefits:
- Expanded Audience: Flash has always faced limitations on what devices it could run on. Flash was developed for PCs and never intended to successfully run on mobile devices. HTML5 content is accessible on Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS and Android.
- Translation Ease: After converting to HTML5, there are fewer challenges associated with translating content into different languages.
- Easier Editing: HTML5 is very user-friendly and can be easily edited at any time. Flash editing was labor-intensive and required more advanced technical expertise.
- Web Integration: HTML5 permits you to integrate other services as part of your e-learning course offerings. For instance, social media accounts can be included effortlessly.
- Improved Flexibility: E-learning courses developed with Flash had to follow a specific set of guidelines. With HTML5, e-learning course designers have more layout options available to them. HTML5 also allows you to customize the type of interaction based on user’s device.
- Create Immersive Experiences: Flash was never developed with the purpose to create multi-media content. HTML5 supports multi-media functionality which in turn improves engagement.
Why Tortal Training?
Tortal Training provides customized Flash to HTML5 conversions. This is significant since many automated conversion tools don’t ensure that content remains responsive. The conversion may not keep content user-friendly. As one example, infographics could be shrunk to fit the screen with the text now too small to read. Tortal Training streamlines the process and helps develop a timeline for video conversions. Tortal Training can also act as a consultant as you develop ways to improve content for optimization post-conversion.
E-Learning Conversions FAQs
1)How should you prepare for Flash to HTML5 course conversions?
For companies with large libraries of course materials in Flash, you should first create a detailed list of all current offerings. You can then look through the list and prioritize what courses should be converted first.
2)Will any redesigning of e-learning courses be required as part of the conversion process?
Since Flash is driven by animation, not all elements are going to be identical post-conversion. While migrating to HTML5, it is a good time to consider updating content that may need reworking. If you are happy with all course elements, Flash animations can be captured and integrated into the newly converted HTML5 course. Keep in mind that you want to create a user-friendly experience for course learners on all devices, including mobile phones.
3)When should you eliminate Flash altogether from your e-learning course materials?
Getting rid of Flash as quickly as possible is preferred. Although Adobe is ending Flash officially in 2020, web browsers are making it more challenging to run Flash. Apple devices have never supported Flash and Safari requires approval before running Flash.